The Hall was built to designs by architect James Gibbs for Sir John Astley in about 1730. The main façade is of three storeys with seven bays, three of which are pedimented, and tower wings.
The estate was acquired 1765 by Sir George Pigot, ( Baron Pigot from 1766), on his retirement as Governor of Madras. The Pigot family sold the property to William Legge, 5th Earl of Dartmouth in 1848, whose son and heir Viscount Lewisham took residence. Substantial extensions and improvements were carried out for him by architect William Burn in the 1880s. The Legges later moved their seat to Plas Newydd on Anglesey.
Patshull Hall has many noteworthy events including visits of the M.C.C. to play cricket in 1875 and 1876. In 1900 the Duke and Duchess of York, later to become King George V and Queen Mary, stayed at the Hall, Queen Mary was to stay at the Hall again in 1939.
During the 20th century the house served as a rehabilitation centre in the 1940s and then until the 1980s as an orthopaedic hospital. During the 1990s the house fell into disrepair and was briefly used as a school.
In 1996 the house had suffered extensive decay and had deteriorated so badly that it appeared on the English heritage list of Buildings at Risk.
The Hall was taken over in 1997 by a renovation specialist and was subsequently removed from the buildings at risk register. The Hall was then sold and ran as a wedding venue before falling into administration.
Patshull Hall was most recently purchased in 2015 and is currently being renovated.
It is now used as a private family home.
To see more of Patshull Hall’s ongoing renovations please follow us on Instagram at @aplaceinthecountry
Please note Patshull Hall is a privately owned Estate with no Public right of way.
For details of local public footpaths please refer to: https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/environment/RightsofWay/Footpaths-bridleways.aspx
No visitors without prior arrangement.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org